Sounds That You Didn't Realize Are Trademarked
Not all sounds are free. Here is a list of sounds you've heard, that you might not have realized are actually trademarked. They are:
1. The Mockingjay whistle from The Hunger Games".
2. The two-note "gong" on "Law & Order".
3. Homer Simpson "D'oh!
4. Darth Vader's breathing in "Star Wars".
5. Oh, and the sound of lightsabers, too.
6. Tarzan's yell . . . as heard in the 1932 movie, "Tarzan the Ape Man".
7. The Aflac duck quack
8. AOL's "You've Got Mail" greeting.
9. The Pillsbury Doughboy's giggle.
10. The ticking stopwatch from "60 Minutes".
The Ten Best Halloween Candies, According to Kids
If you're going to steal your kid's Halloween candy, here are the ones they'll be MOST upset about: Someone polled 700 kids between 8 and 14 and gave them a series of candy match-ups. For example, what's better . . . Kit Kats or Snickers? All 76 candies in the poll were then ranked by winning percentage. According to the results, here are the ten Halloween candies kids like best . . . 1. Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. They won 76% of their match-ups. 2. M&Ms, 73%. 3. Milky Ways, 71%. 4. Hershey bars, 70%. 5. Kit Kats, 68%. 6. Gummy bears, 67%. 7. Hershey's Kisses, 67%. 8. Reese's Pieces, 66%. 9. Peanut M&Ms, 66%. 10. Twix, 66%. Snickers, Starburst, Skittles, Crunch bars, Jolly Ranchers, and Nerds also made the top 20. And of the 76 candies they looked at, black licorice came in last. The rest of the five WORST Halloween treats are sugar-free gum . . . an apple . . . mixed nuts . . . and mints.
TikTok Trend: Have You Heard About "Scalp Popping"?
The only thing worse than a dangerous TikTok trend is one that comes BACK for another round of punishment. Have you heard about this "SCALP POPPING" trend yet? It went viral around the holidays last year, and apparently it's seeing a resurgence. The idiots risking this need to have fairly long hair to do it. Basically, someone takes a chunk of your hair, twists it around their finger, and YANKS. But the point isn't to rip your hair out . . . it's to separate your scalp from your SKULL. There's a POPPING sound, and ignorant teenagers think it's great for some reason. But that sound is the soft tissue under your skin literally separating from your skull. Doctors are telling people NOT to do it . . . because duh. But also because it can cause bleeding under your scalp, or create a sore on your head.
A Study Found Six Different Types of Damage Social Media Does to Us
This is pretty interesting, especially on the heels of all that news about how Facebook has KNOWN its algorithms aren't good for people. A study in Australia found 46 distinct ways social media is BAD for us. Everything from affecting our mental health, to security issues, and how it makes us less productive at work. And they split them up into six different categories . . . 1. Cost of social exchange. It's a catch-all for things like wasting time and energy on social media. And also psychological harm, like making us more jealous and anxious. 2. Annoying content. That includes anything that annoys, upsets, or irritates you. So basically, anything you didn't want or expect to see on there. 3. Privacy concerns. Meaning the REAL threat of your personal information being repurposed, or shared with third parties. 4. Security threats. That one's mostly about scammers, or other people who might lie or deceive you on social media.
5. Cyberbullying. That one's pretty straightforward. Anything that has to do with harassment, abuse, lying, stalking, or spreading rumors. 6. Low performance. Meaning it tends to distract us, and makes us less productive at work, or in school.
67% of Those Working from Home Can't Recognize Their Co-Workers?
If you're still working from home . . . a year and a half later . . . you've probably gone through two distinct stages: Finding out that it's worse than expected . . . and then figuring out how to make it better than expected. But a new survey of people who are still working remotely, some aspects of communal office life can't be replicated. Seven in 10 people say they feel more isolated than they did in the office . . . and more than one third miss social events, including face-to-face meetings (39%) . . . office celebrations (35%) . . . and after-work happy hours (34%). 63% of people said they feel less engaged with their team . . . and, get this: Two-thirds say they work directly with someone who they wouldn't be able to pick out of a lineup and recognize by name only. That's a LITTLE hard to believe after less than two years of working remote . . . unless the "lineup" was packed with lookalikes. But it makes more sense if you're in a new job, or are now working with people you haven't met in person. A majority of people working from home say that some of these issues could be fixed with better quality communication.
William Shatner Cried When He Returned from Space
WILLIAM SHATNER shed some tears yesterday, after returning from orbit. He said, quote, "I'm so filled with emotion about what just happened. It's extraordinary, extraordinary. I hope I never recover from this . . . I don't want to lose it. It's so much larger than me and life." He told JEFF BEZOS, quote, "What you have given me is the most profound experience I can imagine." And he added, quote, "Everybody in the world needs to do this . . . It hasn't got anything to do with the little green men and the blue orb. It has to do with the enormity and the quickness and the suddenness of life and death."
Today's Showbiz Highlights
1. WILLIAM SHATNER broke down when he returned from space, telling JEFF BEZOS, quote, "What you have given me is the most profound experience I can imagine . . . I hope I never recover from this . . . I don't want to lose it." 2. A list of sounds that are trademarked includes: Darth Vader's breathing . . . Tarzan's yell . . . and the Pillsbury Doughboy's giggle. 3. HOWIE MANDEL was hospitalized after collapsing at a Starbucks yesterday. But a few hours later, he Tweeted that he was home resting. He blamed it on dehydration and low blood sugar. 4. FACEBOOK is going to start removing profiles, pages, groups, and events that sexualize celebrities and public figures. They hope this will prevent a person's appearance from being "weaponized". 5. OLIVIA WILDE is ready for society to jump on the "Free the Nipple" bandwagon. She said, quote, "If we are allowed opportunities to celebrate our body, it has an effect on how we treat one another and how we treat ourselves." 6. JAMES GUNN wants to make a "Gilligan's Island" movie where the castaways get desperate and start killing and eating each other. But the estate of the show's creator won't let it happen. 7. LEBRON JAMES and ANTHONY DAVIS discussed the ending of "Squid Game" during a Laker press conference. Neither of them really likes the choice the main character makes at the end. 8. PIERS MORGAN says the ROLLING STONES shouldn't have dropped "Brown Sugar" from their set list, because it's not racist, it's actually a song that, quote, "highlights the appalling historical reality of slavery." 9. NIKKI SIXX admitted that MOTLEY CRUE was "most probably" a sexist band back in the day. While they've grown from that, he said, quote, "It was a different time. You can't rewrite history, man." 10. WALKER HAYES is using the success of "Fancy Like" . . . to NOT change a thing. Quote, "It opens future music up for me to tell you exactly who I am. I'm just a dad who happens to sing songs."