Todays Best of calls:
- NewsNation says 900 U.S. school districts have moved to a four-day school week due to teacher shortages.
- Chew Boom says IHOP will start selling its pumpkin spice menu items on August 28th. The seasonal menu includes Pumpkin Spice Cold Foam Cold Brew and a Pumpkin Spice Pancake Combo.
- Mashed magazine says Pumpkin Spice Oreos have once again hit store shelves.The pumpkin spice cream is sandwiched between two vanilla cookies and will be available for a limited time
- Newsweek magazine says Hall of Fame quarterback Peyton Manning is returning to the University of Tennessee as a professor. He will teach topics like sports reporting, video production, leadership, communication, and public speaking. Manning is a 1997 graduate of the university and played four seasons for the Volunteers.
- PEOPLE Magazine says Margot Robbie is expected to earn $50 million from starring in and producing the new Barbie movie.
1NEWS says Belgium’s Ghent University is launching a new course called ‘’Literature: Taylor's Version.’’ The course will compare Taylor Swift's lyrics to classical literature like Shakespeare. Elly McCausland came up with the idea for the class after seeing connections between Swift's songs and classic works. Critics say the course is frivolous, but McCausland believes it will spark discussions about what defines literature.
Jeff Goldblum tells Entertainment Tonight that he has become a Taylor Swift fan after taking his wife to one of her shows. ‘’I've never been to the SoFi Stadium, so you walk in there and there's 70,000 people, they're all going nuts. We were exchanging friendship bracelets with everybody!’’
The Daily Mail says some dads have become fans of Taylor Swift in order to bond with their daughters. One father flew 10,000 miles from India to Philadelphia to watch Taylor with his kid. The "Swiftie" dads are wearing custom shirts and accessories to show their support. Many of them say Swift's music has brought them closer to their kids.
The Daily Mail says Selena Gomez is going viral because she recently posted a picture of herself wearing a towel on her head and her body while eating messy tacos in bed
The International News says Jimmy Fallon made an unexpected cameo during the Jonas Brothers concert at Yankee Stadium on Sunday night. He covered The Killers' "Mr. Brightside." Fallon posted; “Huge thanks to @jonasbrothers for giving me the surprise guest spot on The Tour tour. And thank you to @yankeestadium for turning it into the world’s biggest karaoke party. This is one of those nights I will never forget.’’
The Daily Mail says Billie Eilish recently spoke about her split from her 31-year-old boyfriend, Jesse Rutherford. During an Instagram Q&A, fans asked about their relationship. Eilish said they are now just "very very good friends."
Everything Nash says Luke Combs has released a live version of ‘’Fast Car’’.
AARP reports that if Barbie were human, she would be 5'9" tall and have a 17-inch waist. The odds of a woman having her body shape are 1 in 100,000. Barbie has been 19 years old for 64 years and has seven siblings. She has owned 21 dogs throughout her life. The most expensive Barbie ever sold wore a pink diamond necklace and cost $302,500.
The Daily Express says Sinéad O'Connor was in talks for a biopic before she recently died. Demi Moore was her top choice to star as her in the movie. The film would have been based on her autobiography ‘’Rememberings’’. A source tells the newspaper, "Sinéad had a huge amount of respect for Demi and thought Niamh was a real rising star."
The Daily Star says the hit show ‘’Suits’’, starring Meghan Markle, is smashing download records on Netflix. Meghan played Rachel Zane and might reconsider a return if the show gets rebooted. A senior studio executive claims Meghan could command an A-List-sized salary. “The Netflix figures are the talk of Hollywood and, with respect to the rest of her co-stars, Meghan is, without doubt, the driving force behind that. Love her or hate her, people can’t get enough of her and her advisers at WME are fully aware she can now command A-List-sized salaries for any film or TV projects in which she chooses to perform."
Geo TV says Jamie Foxx is allegedly trying to win back his ex-girlfriend, Katie Holmes. Foxx was in the hospital because of an alleged stroke and now wants to reconnect with Holmes, who he dated for six years. A source tells the news outlet, "Jamie has dated scores of beautiful women in his life, but none came close to matching what he had with Katie. Their chemistry was off the charts. It was a romance born of passion but became so much more. In hindsight, Jamie can't believe he let her slip through his fingers."
ESPN reports that Michael Oher, the football player whose life inspired the movie "The Blind Side," claims his adoptive family lied about adopting him to make money off of him. Oher alleges that the Tuohy family never adopted him, but instead tricked him into signing a document that made them his conservators. This gave them legal authority over his business deals. The Tuohys allegedly made millions from the film, while Oher received nothing.
Fortune magazine says Julia Roberts is auctioning off a private lunch to support striking actors and writers. The money raised will go to the Entertainment Community Fund and the Motion Picture & Television Fund. Bidding ends on August 22nd. The lunch is expected to raise $40,000
The Daily Mail says Tom Brady is building a luxurious 14,000 sq ft mansion in Los Angeles' Brentwood neighborhood. The home features a wine cellar, a pool, a gym, a lounge, a marble kitchen and landscaped gardens. The NY Post says Irina Shayk is cutting off some friends to protect her new relationship with Tom. She wants to avoid leaks and rumors that could scare him away.
TMZ says Ashley Olsen secretly gave birth to a baby boy named Otto. She had the baby with her artist husband. Louis Eisner. in New York in May. The couple married in December 2022 in a private ceremony in Bel Air, California. A source tells the newspaper, "They are ecstatic about the new arrival."
Men Say "I Love You" First In Relationships
A new study by England's Abertay University reveals that men say I love you before women do in a relationship. On average, men say the special words after 3.5 months, while women tend to wait 4 months. Men think about confessing their love after 2.2 months. Women think about confessing their love after 2.5 months
METHODS PARENTS USE TO TEACH KIDS ABOUT FINANCES ...According to a new survey by BOK Financial
Savings jar / piggy bank — 62%
Shopping and comparing prices — 57%
Allowances and budgeting — 56%
Teaching the difference between needs and wants — 56%
Banking and savings account — 55%
Pet Myths Survey
A new survey by Stella & Chewy's reveals that 92% of pet owners still believe in common pet myths. Other findings:
- 68% of dog parents didn't know wagging tails can signify interest and alertness, not just happiness
- 38% of people falsely believe a cold, wet nose means a dog is healthy
- 42% of cat parents incorrectly think their cats can see in complete darkness
- 41% of cat parents believe cats always land on their feet
- 29% of cat owners think cats enjoy milk, while many are lactose intolerant
Top 10 Types of Bargain Shoppers... According to a new article by Finance Buzz
1. The Researcher
2. The Negotiator
3. The Window Shopper
4. The Early Bird
5. The Wait-and-See Artiste
6. The Bulk Buyer
7. The Coupon Clipper
8. The Loyalty Card Collector
9. The Seasonal Shopper
10. The Online Deal Hunter
Top 10 Cities With The Worst Drivers ... According to a new article by Yahoo Finance
2. Baton Rouge
5. St. Louis
6. Oakland, California
7. Alexandria, Virginia
9. New York
Top 10 Most Confusing Gen Z Terms ... According to a new survey by Mentos Gum
1. Choong – Describes someone who is attractive: “The girl on the train was choong.”
2. Leng – Describes a beautiful object or person: “This guy is leng.” or “This painting is long.”
3. “It hits” – when something is desirable or good: “This meal hits.”
4. “This tastes different” – something out of the ordinary or better than usual: “I haven’t eaten anything all day, this pizza tastes different.”
5. “Charge it up” – accept it and move on: “I’m heartbroken” – “Well, charge it up.”
6. Aired – to be ignored: “I texted her all day but she aired me.”
7. Shocked – shocked when you can’t believe what you see: “I’m shocked.”
8. Peng – someone or something very attractive or desirable: “He is Peng.” or “That is Peng.”
9. Boujee – Something Luxurious: “This restaurant is so Boujee.”
10. Caught – nice body or nice face:
I almost got into a fight the other day at the grocery store. I was starved so I ate a banana and two apples while shopping. A woman came up and called me a disgusting pig and a shoplifter. She said it's gross when people eat food before paying for it. An assistant store manager came up and got between us. She said I needed to pay, which I did. I don't think there's anything wrong with eating while shopping. People eat samples right? I don't consider it shoplifting if you pay before leaving. No one else seemed to agree at the grocery store. What do you think about people, who eat while grocery shopping. Is it a crime?